Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
Public health experts have continued to advise the University to be prepared, like all institutions, for the likelihood that individuals on campus would need to be tested for COVID-19 if they develop symptoms of the virus. We have committed to keeping you fully informed on this and all such matters related to COVID-19.
In keeping with that approach, we write to inform you that the first person on campus, as far as we know, has demonstrated symptoms that require testing for COVID-19. Consistent with best available public health advice:
- That person, who is a member of staff, has been tested. The results are normally back within 48 hours, but the current backlog on testing may delay that. At that time, the person will inform us and we will inform you of the results.
- That person has gone into self-quarantine.
- We have asked the person to provide us with a list of all individuals at Clark with whom they were in close contact over the past week, and we have individually contacted each of them and advised them to follow the recommended public health protocols in their situation. This protocol includes self-quarantine.
- Should the test prove positive, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health will assume responsibility for the situation and we will work with them to support their protocol, including in our related communications.
In the meanwhile, we know you appreciate the imperative of everyone continuing to abide the following critically important steps:
- Take great care of your own health.
- Follow every step recommended by public health officials to protect yourself and others from this virus.
- Contact the appropriate medical professional by phone immediately should you develop symptoms of this virus.
Detailed information about these and other critically important healthcare steps is available on Clark’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage and on the CDC’s website here.
As the COVID-19 situation remains rapidly evolving, please continue to look for email updates and visit Clark’s dedicated COVID-19 webpage regularly for the latest information. We want to re-iterate that we have no higher priority than the health and well-being of our community and it is that commitment that guides all that we do.
Thank you. We deeply appreciate the extraordinary efforts that everyone at Clark is taking to look out for themselves and others. Those efforts make all the difference in this great community.
David P. Angel, President
Paul Wykes, Chair, COVID-19 Response Team